The closure some of Norwegian’s crew bases will have little or no effect on already scheduled flights that are out for sale and customers who have booked flights with Norwegian. Norwegian will not stop offering flights to popular vacation destinations such as Las Palmas, Mallorca and Thailand, as some media have reported.
In order to improve its profitability, Norwegian yesterday announced that it will discontinue some of its crew bases in Spain, Italy and the U.S. in 2019. As a result of the future base closures, only four of summer routes will be discontinued: Rome-Gothenburg, Rome-Tenerife South, Rome-Reykjavik and Rome-Tel Aviv. The following routes will see a minor reduction in number of weekly departures:
- Palma de Mallorca – Copenhagen, from 14 to 13 weekly departures
- Palma de Mallorca – Oslo, from 9 to 8 weekly departures
- Palma de Mallorca – Dusseldorf, from 9 to 7 weekly departures
- Palma de Mallorca – Helsinki, from 7 to 6 weekly departures
- Rome – Helsinki, from 6 to 4 weekly departures
- Tenerife North – Madrid, from 9 to 7 weekly departures
Customers who are affected by these changes will be given the option to travel on a different itinerary.